We continue to separate ourselves from other third-party administrators by providing full COBRA administrative services that include:
- Processing qualifying event notices exceeding the industry requirement of 14 days
- Collection of payments and remitting premiums to the carrier or the client (or both)
- Daily eligibility submissions (enrollments / terminations) to the carriers
- Automated data transfer of qualifying events to reduce keying and increase efficiency
- Processing general (initial) rights notices
- Online COBRA system for the employer and the participants
- Retiree administration within the same online COBRA system (if requested)
- A bilingual call center fully-staffed with helpful representatives Our COBRA Implementation Process
- Upon assignment of EBS as the COBRA Administrator, an Implementation Specialist is assigned to the account. The Specialist
will be responsible for setting-up the account in its entirety. Once the account is completely set-up, a conference call will be
scheduled to introduce you to your EBS team.
- Rates, carrier contact information and a participant census are requested, preferably 45-days prior to the takeover date. EBS is
able to communicate with the former administrator directly or through the client.
- Currently enrolled participants will receive a packet from EBS containing a welcome letter (customizable by the client), coupons
and a letter instructing them how to login to our COBRA system.
- Those participants within their initial 60-day election window will be sent a welcome letter with instructions of where to send
their completed packet should they choose to elect COBRA.
- General Rights notices (for those newly enrolled on benefits) are processed once a month.
- Specific Rights notices (for those who have experienced a qualifying event) are processed daily. All notices are sent within
seven business days after receipt of completed data from the client.
- Both General and Specific notices can either be entered into our system by the client or sent to EBS within the data
specifications (via excel) provided during the implementation. Completed spreadsheets should then be uploaded
onto our secure FTP site.
- We prefer to remit payment to the carrier since we are responsible for managing the eligibility. As such, during the ARRA
period, we will bill the client on the last day of the month (this can be changed to an earlier date depending on the client’s
request) for their 65% of the COBRA costs. We ask that this 65% be remitted to us so we can marry it with the
participant’s 35% and send the full 100% to the carrier. If the client prefers, we can also remit the premiums collected
back to the client.
- Termination letters are sent to the participants and the carriers between the 10th and the 20th of each month for the
previous month of non-payment. Copies of all letters are kept electronically. Our Online COBRA System
- Our online COBRA system allows clients to login and view their account at anytime. Along with viewing participant information
such as demographics, event data and payment history, clients can run reports at anytime in real-time. Some of the
standard reports are the:
• Member Status report – includes everyone who has been notified regardless if they are enrolled, are terminated or are still
within their 60-day window
• Paid Through report – includes everyone who is currently enrolled on COBRA who is paid-through at least
the previous month
• AEI Taken report – shows everyone who the client has deemed eligible for the subsidy, those who have attested
that they are eligible and who have paid their 35% for a particular month. This report provides the amount used
for tax-credit purposes.
- Our online COBRA system also provides participants the ability to login and view their account. They can review payment
information (last received and next due) and coverage information (plans and critical dates). Upon election, participants are
provided a login letter with instructions on how to obtain access to their account.
- All communications that we send to the participants are housed within our online COBRA system. You can view all
communications on a participant level as can they upon login. All communications become a PDF once viewed and
can be printed from that location.